Months in Moments: April

For the past Months in Moments, I've been keeping a good track record of posting about the previous month within three to five days after the month has ended. But as you can see, I have failed this time around. I'll explain why when the May post comes up (hopefully three to five days after May ends).




1 Apr
Rinse @ BSD


Seven of us cousins fit into the back of our aunt's CRV as we headed to Bandar Sri Damansara.

Our cousin's friend was celebrating the anniversary of the opening of his café and so we went to get our tummies filled with some special priced hojicha and matcha lattes, along with some roti jala and curry chicken, and ice cream and waffles. Then, we went to the dog park at Desa Park City and met some fluffy friends.

We didn't spend very long there, but little did they know, that was all I needed to remedy my aching heart that very weekend.


4 Apr
Kek Batik



Every now and then, I fall into the act of stress-baking. And if you follow me on Instagram, you're probably aware that this happens quite often.

Like I've mentioned before, I'm the kind of person that when stressed out, distracts myself momentarily and detaches from that something by dabbling into other things that help make me feel better about myself. I was pretty brain dead from all the assignments that I had to complete that week so I ended up baking!

Well, sort of.

The recipe for this kek batik is literally just this: take a big pot, melt butter in it, pour in condensed milk and milo powder, stir until smooth, slowly fold in the broken cookies, coat well, put it in a container or two, freeze overnight, cut and serve. That is it.

I guess that's why I tend to gravitate towards making this cake because it is a no-brainer and nothing can really go wrong, which helps with the whole make-self-feel-more-adult-like facade.


6 Apr


I did mention in the last post that April was going to be a month of assignments, assignments and assignments. I wasn't lying.

The readings and the notes that I made for my assignments were all that I had eyes for while I was on my laptop. For this particular essay, which you may or may not be able to tell through the blurred texts on the screen, I had to write a three-thousand word essay about power, privilege and inequality that exist in the lives of foreign workers around the world.

I know. I see you doing Obama's "not bad" face.

Writing this granted me a deeper understanding and recognition of the conditions and problems of foreign workers who leave their home countries in search for a better life, or in efforts to provide that for their families back home. I poured out my heart and soul into this essay because I somehow felt that by doing so, I was able to voice out the oppression and discrimination that foreign workers faced in their day-to-day lives. Often times, I ended up asking for forgiveness as I realised how marginalised these people are by things that we subconsciously do.

Man, it really hurt. But it was the hurt that I needed to feel in order for me to realise that others experience the hurt possibly tens or hundreds or thousands times more than I do. Also, can you tell that I really enjoy what I'm learning/doing in university right now?

It took me many hours of focus and many more cups of tea in a number of days, but I was satisfied with my finished work. Thankfully, my lecturer was, too and gave me a HD for the essay.


At the end of the night, I ended up calling Iza for 4 hours. We've known each other before joining the marching band in primary school, before we got prescriptive glasses, before we went to high school, before we started realising what stress was, before all the boys, before everything.

She's in UK now and she has been for awhile.

We don't talk to each other everyday, but when we do get the chance to, it's as if we were back at my living room floor from our high school days; talking, laughing, crying and sleeping while we waited for her mum to come pick her up.

"Keep these friends. They're a good bunch," Papa once told me.

He's rarely wrong.


7 Apr

We've been utilising the whiteboard in our CG room a lot more recently. Here's Daniel putting in those squats.


8 Apr
Graduatelah


Jeremy graduates from ACCA! Marcus, Kenji, Joel and myself got him a dragonfruit seedling plant in a pot with a baby Groot pin as a graduation gift. Nothing says 'you're an adult now' quite like the responsibility that comes with taking care of a plant.

Why get a bouquet of flowers that will eventually die when you can get the man a plant that he has to take good care of and will think of us whenever he waters or looks at it? And even if the plant doesn't make it in the long run, our friendship will anyways.

We are so proud of him and we are even prouder to say that ACCA is under his feet.


9 Apr

What is a MiM without a sunset picture?


10 Apr

Meet Fatyn and Jin!


I have concluded that dakgalbi will always sound like a good idea in my head, but my stomach does not necessarily agree. Also, am I the only one who gets jelak or bored of it after awhile since everything ends up tasting the same? Let me know that I'm not alone in this..


12 Apr
Shaun



Here is another prime example of people I don't talk to everyday, but always intentionally find our way back into having meals with each other as we catch up what has been going on in our lives.

Shaun and I do this once a year. Twice, at most.

A close friend of Marcus' back in high school that somehow ended up being one of my close friends now, Shaun was telling me how he didn't know how to fold a proper paper aeroplane until not too long ago. He then proceeded to show me that he finally learnt how to with the receipts that we got from McD.

He says and does pretty dumb things at times (go figure), but I'm still proud to call him a friend. I appreciate the meals, calls and conversations more than I will publicly admit. But here it is:

You're ok I guess.

Surrender


At night, we had a rehearsal for Surrender, a song that I wrote two years ago. We were going to record it in the studio soon (!!!) so we spent the night practising the arrangement that Marcus did for the song.

Because this post is so late, the recording has already been done the other day by the time this goes up. I'm super humbled and super excited as to how the song has gotten to where it is today. But, I'll save the whole story for another day!


13 Apr
Not again


Marcus was studying on my table as I was sleeping on my bed, groaning as I woke up because of the period cramps that I had. I got up from bed and the moment I stood up, everything went black.

"Wait, wait.." was the last two words I heard myself say before my legs gave way.

Marcus caught me and gently sat me down on the chair. I saw him mouth some words and snapped his fingers, but I didn't hear any sound. The only thing I could hear was a constant ringing in both my ears as my breathing got heavier. I tried so hard to focus on my toes and my fingers and my ears in efforts to gain back my senses as I felt like I was losing them — sight, sound and touch.

I don't remember how long it took for all my senses to return, but eventually they did.


We went downstairs to tell my mum about it. She asked Marcus to get the blood pressure monitor.

96/70, with a heart rate of 53 per minute.

(Just in case you didn't know, that's pretty low. This is probably a normal reading in a state of rest if you do sports on a regular, but I for one, am anything but an athlete.)

I ate a snack bar and went back upstairs. I gently plonked myself back on bed and Marcus went back to studying.


I'm honestly not surprised that this happened, since I was on my period. I've been through the monthly daggers in the stomach and pain everywhere else in my body. But this is the first time that I've blacked out because of it.

And as always, I am thankful that Marcus was there when it happened. If not, I probably would have ended up on the floor, completely blacked out until whenever I would wake up on my own. Or maybe it was him that made me feel so head over heels. Just maybe.

All in all, don't belittle someone's experience with period pain because if you've never felt it, you will never truly understand it. Period (ha ha ha get it).


14 Apr
Calcul8r

Two of my CG members slid me this calculator during CG. I laughed.


17 Apr


Mama prepares breakfast for us and puts them in containers as we head out for work and for school. Some days, I open my container and my heart leaps when I see a chocolate sandwich in a shape of a bear with chocolate chips for its eyes, ears, mouth and nose.

What do you mean? Of course I'm an adult.


18 Apr


I was looking for something else in my sister's wardrobe when I found some old shirts that belonged to her and Mama. It was in the discard pile so I decided to bring them out to see the light of day.

This also reminds me that I have a lot of clothes that I want to clear out because of the amount of space that they are occupying in my wardrobe. I've sold some of my preloved clothes before on a separate Instagram account and I had so much fun with the captions! Maybe it's time to update it soon.

"When I look into the mirror..."

Same mirror, same person, but slightly different than a month ago.

There are days when I look at myself in the mirror and see a pair of dark brown eyes, a pair of ears with double piercings on each side, a nose that looks like a strawberry more than anything, a pair of chapped lips because of my recurring eczema, a head of hair that is growing lighter and lighter shades of brown each day, and other things.

There are days when I look at myself in the mirror and see a pair of eyes that decide to see beyond the worldly, temporal sufferings and material things in my life, a nose that takes in another breath with every inhale and exhale, a pair of lips that have prayed prayers in thanking God for the little things and the big things, a head of hair, otherwise known as a person's crowning glory, of which reminds me to lay down my crowns at the foot of the Cross, and other things.

There are days when I look at myself in the mirror, and I don't feel so bad.

To more of these days.


19 Apr
LDPeanut butter and jam


For every weekday morning I look outside my window at the LDP toll as I make my way to university, I am grateful that I don't stay in Puchong. Fun fact: I showed Marcus this picture and within two seconds, his first reaction was to ask, "What's this? Are they selling cars?"


fluffed @ Taman Paramount 


I don't remember the exact name of this dish from fluffed that is a cocoa waffle, with pistachio ice cream and strawberries, but I do remember the distinct taste of the ice cream with the raspberry sauce on top. I'm quite on the fence about it.

Just like the friendship I have with the person I had this waffle with, I don't remember the exact moment as to how our relationship has blossomed into what we have today, but I do remember the genuine conversations about studies, friendships, love, faith and life. Unlike that pistachio ice cream, however, the friendship I have with this person leaves me wanting more.


Dear Sara Leong, on your Instagram, you've likened me to a gemstone, saying that even then it is a far cry from who I really am. On my Instagram, I've likened you to a bouquet of flowers that you sent me, saying that even then they'll never be as beautiful as you.

Beyond the public affirmations and acknowledgements on social media about the parts that we play in each other's lives, I hold close to my heart the conversations that we have spent face-to-face, sitting across the table, and the times that we have spent on the phone, sharing, talking, laughing and crying to anything and everything.

With that being said, the conversation that we had at Tonkatsu will forever be the one I treasure the most. And you know why.

I appreciate you.

#sarqingforever

Fish are friends, not food


If it seems like the Leong brothers only ever do anything related to fishes — building their own fish tank, setting it up with all the sand and the plants, cleaning the fish tank, talking about fishes, talking about buying fishes, going out to buy fishes, putting said fishes in the fish tank, asking each other "Have you fed the fishes already", telling me about the latest fish that died... the answer is yes. It really is the only thing they ever talk about these days.


Penang

We headed to Penang for Joseph and Elizabeth's wedding and I vlogged about it (kind of.. you'll see why here). The wedding itself was on Saturday, but a bunch of us decided to take this time to squeeze in a lil food trip as we headed there on Friday and came back on Monday.

20 Apr


Nathanael, a grown boy, laughs at adult responsibilities as he irons his shirt.

21 Apr
Wedding Day

Nasi Lemak boys.

Nat, the grown boy, also brought his PS4 for everyone to play at the Airbnb.

Jun Jin, the man, in his thrifted everything.

Post nasi kandar drive back home past midnight.

22 Apr
Food trippin'


Ah pom uncle.

How to fix your roof: Penang uncle style.


On the way to catch the sunset at Tanjung Bungah beach.




The most legit pork satay of my life.

The most legit fried chicken and cheese in a burger of my life.


...and more FIFA.

23 Apr
Last day



The most legit eggs on toast of my life.

Kenji, a model.
No, Kenji is not a DVD seller who is counting the money he made during sales that day. Elizabeth left her bag at our Airbnb the night before when the newly weds came to visit us, so we met up with them for lunch to return the bag the next day. Part of me thinks that they did it on purpose so that they can spend a bit more time with us. I might be wrong.




The siam laksa we had at Pulau Tikus (not the one pictured here) was the most legit siam laksa of my life.

Goodbye Penang.


25 Apr
M&M



No friendship quite like their friendship, where they blatantly call the other person more uncle than they themselves are, saying that it's the other person's fault for bringing out the uncle in themselves. The truth is: both of you are as uncle as each other.

When it comes to these two, I am the true third-wheel. And for Marcus and Melvin, I have always been so, and I will gladly be for the rest of my life.


Why Gamora


The third-wheel for M&M won this time around as I managed to steal Marcus away to watch Avengers with free tickets from NextGen's FPL organisers.

For every month, there will be a Manager of the Month award for the highest scoring manager in FPL, a league that has been opened for and played by NextGen Campus students. Whoever wins the award gets two free movie tickets to watch any movie.

I am super proud to say that Fried Chicken FC, the name of the club that Pris and I co-manage together, won the award for our second time this season! But because Pris is still away in UK, Marcus has been leeching on our free tickets.

I cannot stress how many times Pris and I have looked at ourselves and asked, "What have we become," whenever we looked at what the scout says about who's performing, who to captain, who to transfer. And by 'the scout' we mean Darius, Daniel, Marcus, Shaun and all our other FPL advisors. But in all honesty, I think we have been doing alright on our own. I can't wait until the end of the season!

And yes, if you can't already tell, in the friendship that I have with Pris, Marcus is the true third-wheel.


26 Apr
Winner Winner Facetime Supper

So many of my closest friends are thousands of miles away and it aches my heart sometimes.
This call with Ben lasted for two to three hours.

He was there at the right time, at the right place, to say the right words that only God knows I needed to hear. I don't know if he remembers what this call was about, but I clearly remember how I went to bed that night thanking God for the people that He has placed in my life.

Ben, you are a true friend.


27 Apr
Boran @ Seapark


I had lunch alone this day.

I was supposed to tapao some food and head to Marcus' place after my Friday class but I somehow felt the need to just spend some time alone.

I don't do this very often, because I am the type of person who will slowly lose her mind if she had to spend an extended amount of time by herself. I guess that's the case for most extroverts. We usually need to be surrounded by people.


But I sat alone with my pork neck rice and my Thai iced tea, along with my phone on 'Do not disturb' mode, I detached myself from my surroundings and enjoyed the quietness that came with.

I didn't need to make small talk, I didn't need to put in extra effort into being involved in a conversation, I didn't need to do all the active listening thing, I didn't need to make sure that I was eating as much as I was talking to make sure that my food wouldn't turn cold.

All I wanted to do was to be alone.


In the late afternoon of the post-lunch rush hour, I ended up talking to God.

Not audibly out loud, but in my heart.

I poured out my thoughts, fears, hopes and dreams before Him as I emptied everything from the jar of mess I call my mind.

In the quiet and stillness, He told me many different things, all of which I still remember word for word. A wave of warmth, peace and comfort came upon me and I smiled to myself.

Maybe what I needed wasn't to be alone, maybe what I needed was to be alone with Him.


I paid for the bill, packed up my things and left to Marcus' place.


28 Apr
JT Tribute @ Alexis KL



When it comes to these gigs, I'm usually in the crowd watching Marcus perform on stage. But this time, Marcus and I were both in the crowd as we watched his friends perform a Justin Timberlake tribute at Alexis KL.


30 Apr



What a way to end the month: with photos of my face.

I took these while I was at Voxfest.

I know, I know, there is nothing here that shows any part of Voxfest, but I had so much fun sitting in on the rehearsals and soundcheck before their showcase on the last day.

There isn't a real reason as to why these photos are here or what they intend to represent. I just liked my hair, my face and my outfit here, despite the fact that you can see toilet stalls, a tap and a soap dispenser in the back.




As of today, we're already more than halfway through May. I guess it's time to start compiling my photos for them month. And I also guess it's too late to use the "it's gonna be May" joke.


See you then!