Turning 18

"Okay, I've decided: for my birthday, I don't want much, I just want you to bring me to SS17 for cendol. That's all."

"Really? Sure!"

"Yes, because I'm a simple woman."


This conversation happened (for real) between Marcus and myself in August on my brother's birthday, about a month before mine. And yes, in all honesty, it really was all I wanted (because have you tried having that cendol when the weather is crazy hot? It's like a glimpse of heaven).

So it was set!

We would have cendol at SS17 on Sunday, 20th September, which was a day before my actual birthday. But because I was flying to Bali on my birthday itself, we decided to celebrate beforehand.



FRIDAY, 18TH SEPTEMBER 2015

Marcus picked me up after dinner that night and we headed to Rimba & Rusa at Sunway Nexis, Kota Damansara for dessert.

We actually planned to go to Rimba & Rusa on Sunday for dinner but because Sara Soo (hello mama!) said that it's usually pretty crowded on weekends, we opted for a Friday-night-dessert instead.

Marcus had my phone through the night because he said he wanted to take nice photos. I took no photos at all, not even a selfie of both of us, or even a photo of him. So here's a couple of photos of me being a complete noob with my sticky caramel pudding that I felt was waaaaaay too sweet for me.





Like all our Fridate nights, we ended it with just chilling around and having quality conversations about our favourite type of trees amidst other things. Quality conversations indeed. (This goes to say that you can never really stop learning more about another person!)



SUNDAY, 20TH SEPTEMBER 2015

Marcus and Melvin were serving for celebration that weekend and I had rehearsals for musical that Sunday afternoon as well. So I went to pick them up after service, then we headed to have Indian rice at Sri Paandi at Jalan Gasing. Spending time with the M&Ms will never not be entertaining and I really appreciate the time when I get to do just that.

After lunch, we fulfilled my month-long dream - cendol. There is just something about sitting by the side of the road having cendol that feels so at home, even though you are by the side of the road and you don't have a proper table or anything like that. I think it's a Malaysian thing.

I dropped them off back at church, had my rehearsals and then headed back home after that to get ready for dinner.

This is Melvin chilling in his car boot. No biggie.

I was really excited that night because number one, I was flying off to Bali the next day, number two, I get to spend time with my favorite Marcus in the whole wide world and also number three, I got to wear this new dress I bought from factorie at Sunway Pyramid with Kai Yee on impulse.

The line at factorie was too long that day and we didn't have a lot of time to wait. So, Kai Yee took the dress off the rack, placed it on me by holding it to my waist and just said, "Okay. Can." And that was how I got a new dress.


Marcus picked me up at about 6.20pm and we headed to Mei by Fat Spoon at Sri Hartamas. Parking was a teeny weeny bit hard to find but we managed to find one after he said a prayer in his head.

We walked into the shop and then it happened.

I see a table with blue and white balloons and as I walked towards it, Samuel pops up and serves me tea. Then I see the camera that's trying to hide behind the wall. And I just start smiling and smiling and I couldn't stop.


Words cannot fully describe what happened so it's time for a video!

**For the record, I did not record the videos (no!! way!!) but I took the time to edit the videos and compile it into one because, why not? It's quite funny when you think of it, editing your own surprise birthday party video...but I did it!


The table was never ever quiet. That's how it's always like with these people.

I had such a great night just spending time, talking and laughing with them over anything and everything. Some people are missing from here (you know who you are) because they couldn't make it but don't worry guys, you still hold a special place in my heart.


Honestly, this really is my favorite picture from that night. (Just look at the Melf!)

"I'm having so much fun guys"

Jue Ann!

Yenlin!

Hannah!

Sara Leong!

Terry!

Samuel!

I've learnt a lot of things over the years. One of the most important things I've learnt to do is to appreciate people. They've all played a part, big or small, in making us who we are today. And I'm blessed beyond compare to say that He has placed the absolute best of the best of people in my life.  I know I say that a lot but it really resonates with what I genuinely feel from the deepest parts of my heart. So, thank You and thank you for letting me play a part in your life as well.




With all the love I can give to you: from those who turned up for the surprise, to those who couldn't make it, to those who wished me, to those who asked me how I've been, to those who have promised to catch up with me, to those who even just thought about me the slightest - thank you.