Months in Moments: January

I feel like it's every year that I make it a point to write more/post more on the blog and every year I somehow seem to fail. Disappointed, but not surprised.

But I think I've finally found something that will hopefully make it easier for me to achieve that this time round!






I've recently discovered these apps called CALLA and HUJI that take your photos and turn them into vintage ones, with filters and the OG date stamp at the corner, as if the photos were taken by an actual camera and developed as it is.

One thing I realized is that because these apps filter the photo and put the date stamp on right away, you can't really edit it after that. Sure, you can retake the photo and let it filter itself again but the process takes awhile, much like an actual camera. You can also upload the photo to VSCO and edit the brightness, contrast and all that good stuff, but you can't rotate the photo anymore because the date stamp won't be straight.

As cliche as it sounds, this has taught me to find beauty in imperfect photos, that as much as these photos serve their aesthetic purposes, the moments captured behind each photo serve a greater purpose and a greater significance in my life than merely just being a nice photo.


Without further ado, here is a photo diary of how the first month of my 2018 went by!


1 Jan
Sleepoverlah


What better way to start the new year than to have a sleepover? Sneakerlah came over to my place after our watchnight service and needless to say, we had little to no sleep. But I will gladly trade my zzz's for the conversations and the company, over and over again.


Baan Kun Ya @ Centrepoint 


Some pretty amazing stuff! We loved it so much that Marcus went back with his family almost exactly a week after that. Definitely recommend the clear tom yum and the grilled lemongrass chicken. It is a bit on the pricey side but they're still having 30% off all food items.


6 Jan
Mitasu + KL adventures


Sam.

Sara S and Hannah (featuring Sam and Michelle).


Now, the answer to the question we've all been waiting for: is Mitasu worth it?

I personally feel like it's not too bad of an option if you're thinking of having it for a special occasion, but it's definitely not worth having it every now and then. And I think for us, we ate our money's worth that day because we had quite a big appetite and we just kept ordering rounds and rounds of sashimi, grilled beef, grilled squid, scallops and ice cream. Most of the food was A+ so I have nothing to complain about!



My outfit from that day: striped maroon bodycon dress, denim jacket and Nike flyknits.


7 Jan



McD breakfasts make 6am drives to send Sam to the airport a little bit more bearable, especially when Marcus and I only had about 3 hours of sleep right before from FORWARD2018, our midnight celebration service.


8 Jan


For those of you who don't know, this is Joy. She is one of the reasons why I made it through college and I am forever grateful for this lovely lady. We don't talk everyday, we don't meet every other week, but we always pick up right where we left off. I love it.


9 Jan

Honestly forgot what movie Marcus and I were watching here.


17 Jan
Chimi Churri


This was when I had Chimi Churri with Yoong Shen. We are rarely ever seen talking to each other in real life, mostly because we are occupied with each of our own CGs to lead during the weekends. But I am truly grateful and blessed for the times we've managed to sit down and talk to each other about leadership and life.


18 Jan
Working


I've been helping out at a kindergarten, Juara Cerdik, for the past couple of weeks and these children make me look forward to waking up early in the morning just to see their faces and just to hear what stories they have to tell me. I'm taking care of the 4-year-olds so you can only imagine the things that they would say and do. 

Interesting enough, they've brought to surface a lot of things about my relationship with God without them even knowing. I'll share more about them soon (the post is already in the works)!


20 Jan
Suzie Wong


Marcus was playing a gig here that night and I absolutely love every bit of this place from the ambience and the vibe, to the performances by the showgirls in between sets, all except for the smell of cigars and creepy middle-aged men who talk you up even after you politely decline (isn't this the same everywhere). I also really love this mirror in the toilet, despite how you can hardly make up what I'm wearing.


21 Jan
Heng Kee Bak Kut Teh @ Old Town

Yes, that is my thumb at the left corner.


A family favorite that will always, always hit home.



Mama also wanted to look for flowers for decorations and this shop in Old Town was sprawling from corner to corner with red, red and red. Can you believe it's almost Chinese New Year already?



24 Jan
Tables of Joy @ Uptown


It's very rare that we get to have lunch with Papa on weekdays, but since Jie and him needed to settle something at the bank and since I also finished my MPU finals (yes, you read that right), we decided to head to one of our recent favourites. I highly recommend getting the pork curry nasi lemak.






It was the roadie life for me later that day as I went along with Marcus for the rehearsal for Tasha's gig at Le Noir, TREC that night. Seeing first hand the process of talent along with a lot of hard work that is put out there on the stage gives me goosebumps from time to time. I love the roadie life.


26 Jan






What was supposed to be a group of us eventually became a double date with Hannah and Kenji for Marcus and myself as we went on a shoe shopping "roadtrip" from One Utama, to Gardens, to Mid Valley and all the way back to One Utama. I also love these two kiddos a lot.



Papa and Marcus talking before dinner with the family. Right after I took this photo, they noticed me (senpai) and asked me what I was doing. I said, "Nothing." 


29 Jan
A fried-chicken betrayal




Oh, Ayam Goreng McDThe saddest thing about betrayal is that it never comes from an enemy. As much as I love you, you were a big contributor to my severe throat infection that was spreading to my voicebox, making me lose my voice last week. I forgive you, but please don't do it again.


30 Jan

Watching Home Alone at home but not alone. 

If you haven't already noticed, Marcus and I quite like staying at home to spend uninterrupted time together. People have come up to me and said, "Wah, you living the life, man." when they see stories of us being dressed up in KL, him doing his thing on stage, me being the supportive girlfriend. But in all honesty, we really much enjoy bumming at home, chilling with friends. We ain't about that atas life.



Sneakerlah loses 2 of our members as Ben and Hannah left to Aussieland later that night. I mentally prepared myself for the day to come, but even as the day approached, I wasn't prepared. But the two of them are settling in and having fun already, so my heart is glad.


--


And just like that, the first month of 2018 has come and gone. It feels as if I haven't even finished processing how New Year's has happened already. Time is funny.


I, for one, really enjoyed my January. What were some of your highlights from this month?