Road trip!




Over the weekend, Papa and Mama Wong decided to take an impromptu trip to Kuantan, Pahang to visit my sister and help clean her room with our thingamajiggy that cleans the air and makes it smell like soft linen and all that good stuff. After two weeks of school and work, I think a good 2 day break the world with the fam bam did us some good.


It was a Saturday and all I could think of was how weird it felt to not be in church on a Saturday afternoon. NextGen was even having camp echo and apparently NextGen Space was so packed that it felt like the aircond wasn't even on. I still can't believe I missed that. But I guess the car trip there gave me the chance to get my sweetcorn craving and also much appreciated nap time.


After close to 3 hours of being cooped up in the car, we finally reached our destination! Going into a new town, we got a lost for a bit, figuring out which cobblestone road to turn into, which left is left and all that stuff. But we called for help aka Che Che Wong and we managed to reach her house in time.


We started cleaning up her room, with 5 of us fitting into the small 4 walls, it was a wee bit stuffy. And with my nose being sensitive to dust, I started sneezing in no time. We debugged her bed with the thingamajiggy and the water was all grey and dusty and I'm 90% sure there were bugs in the water from cleaning her mattress. Quite disgusting. But for the record, it's not her fault. And yes, bed bugs are real. 

It was about 7.30pm when we finished cleaning up the place, then we headed to the homestay where we were going to stay over for a night. After that, we headed to Teluk Chempedak for dinner by the beach.



Ahhh chicken chop by the beach. Nothing could be better. The uncle who served us was very friendly. He saw me taking out the DSLR and started talking to my dad about cameras and how we will never catch up with technology. And he stood there as we ate dinner for a good 20 minutes or so. Such a chatty uncle.

After dinner, we took a walk along the beach. There were a lot of people just hanging around, doing nothing in general. Also, there was a guy busking by the side, he was very, um, loud. But kudos to him for being there and doing what he loves. Oh and there was this guy with snakes! Mama freaked out a little hehe that was funny.


I know this is really dark and the quality is so meh but this is as close as I can get to show you what we were looking at. The sound of the waves hitting the shore was absolutely soothing. 
My brother and I just stood there, looking out into the ocean, waiting for the waves to hit our feet. Initially, we were standing about 30 feet away from where the waves would always hit the sand, wanting to challenge the waves to see whether they could reach us. But after about 15 minutes, we got impatient because even as we went a few steps forward, the waves would stop only just a few centimeters away from our feet. So in the end, we waited for the last wave to come and ran into the right spot and there it was, that feeling when the water just brushes over our feet, tickling our skin.

That was joy.

After having McD's ice cream from the kiosk by the side of the beach, we headed back to the homestay where we washed up and took a good night rest. (Even though I kinda slept at about 2 in the morning despite being as tired as I was haha I need to reconsider the decisions I make sometimes..) 

Sunday morning, we woke up just in time for brunch. Making sure that we had everything, saying goodbye to the very friendly homestay owner aunty, (who even gave us some biscuits to take home!) we headed off for some good food awaiting for us.




And there you have it. Roti canai and nasi lemak on a Sunday morning. What more can we ever ask for?

I remember when I was taking pictures of the food, the pak cik who makes the roti canai asked why I didn't take pictures of him instead. Funny pak cik. I did want to go take some pictures of him but when we wanted to leave, he was nowhere to be found.


Look at all the food on our table! Thank God for all the good food with even better people (and not forgetting a great camera, too.) We were pretty full after finishing up everything, so we decided to chillax a bit and just sit at the restaurant for awhile.





My family is quite photogenic, don't you think?

We decided to go furniture shopping at East Coast Mall for cupboards for my sister. On the way there, we stopped at a traffic light and on the right we could see a car with two small boys playing around with each other. One in the passenger seat and one in the back seat, with the father in the driver's seat. We caught them looking over at us, Mama made the first move and waved at them. The small boy in front waved back. I made crossed my eye and stuck out my tongue at the boy behind and he scrunched up his nose, returning the funny face. Too. Much. Adorable. The dad even looked over at us and laughed along with his kids. Unfortunately, the traffic light turned green, we waved and they waved back at us, smiling at the complete strangers who decided to make friends the last few moments. It was very nice to see friendly people like that. I love it.


Papa and Mama were both wearing stripes hehe it was too cute!

Not long after that, we reached the mall. The carpark was pretty dodgy, but oh well what to do. When we stepped into the hypermarket, everything was all CNY decorated. Cap Tangan's peanuts were going on sale like crazy. Speaking of which, I cannot wait for CNY! Two weeks is too long the wait. But back to the point, the price of everything there was surprisingly pretty low, I think it might be because I'm so used to living in KL, it was weird seeing cupboards that were only selling for RM10. 




Papa looks like a small kid with the trolley here haha he is too cute to be true!

After a few hours of scouting for the perfect cupboards, we brought it back to her place to set it up. It was about 2 in the afternoon, but the weather was still airy and cooling which is not something you see quite often here back in KL.


Question: How many people does it take to assemble one cupboard?
4 Wong's and a Chee. But only the first one though. We got the hang of it and assembled the other 2 pretty quickly.

It reminded me of Kemahiran Hidup again where we had to build useless stuff out of the MDF boards and all that. But this time, it was definitely more fun. And also bigger. And more real. It felt like a family project kinda thing where you would do on Sundays. With Papa teaching us how to screw the screw in straight, with Mama being her cheeky self, we all had a great time bonding over the little things.


Then came the saddest part of the trip, the goodbye. My sister had to go to work and start her shift while we had to go back home to get some rest before the week started. Sigh, life. Saying our goodbyes, having our last laughs, we went to our separate ways and that was the end of our road trip at Kuantan.






**

Here's to more impromptu road trips!