IQ70+ | Blessed to be a blessing.

You know how every year, we're required to do a group community service project for our syllables? Originally someone in the group suggested that we clean Taman Jaya and by clean I mean pose with the broom and pick up leaves. But Mr Ho (obviously) said no and so then we decided to do PAWS. But, the sad news was PAWS was only open to volunteer groups on weekdays and we had to fill in forms and all that which was quite troublesome and also a bit hard since we were short of time. So, we went ahead with IQ70+.

IQ70+ is a home-like shelter for the mentally challenged which provides an all-day comprehensive humane assistance for children with mental disabilities and endeavors in building a safe and open living space to offer the children the superior conditions for healthy psychological growth.

Don't get it wrong though, the tag "IQ70+" isn't meant to degrade or put down their mental disabilities. The “+” sign reflects their mission in leading the children to move forward by seeking more breakthroughs and hopes within the limited intelligence. It is a bridge built not only to break the gap between social responsibility and the public society, but to lead mentally challenged children to embrace and back to the society, as said on the website.

On the 29th of March, Saturday morning, we started off with a tour around the shelter with Susilah showing us around, introducing us to the kids and telling us about the shelter. Susilah told us that we had to "share" the children because there were 2 other groups of students there as well, one from Universiti Malaya and another from our school, but we didn't mind at all.

In the morning, the children were let out of the house for some fresh air. They were all given coloring papers and a lot of color pencils and also art block to draw on. It started off pretty awkward at first. The 6 of us didn't really know what to do, as all of the children were occupied with their own coloring. Also, the other students who were there were already accompanying the children. And we were pretty scared, too. But we shook it off and started to mingle with them.



There are a total of 34 children in the shelter, ranging from babies to even young adults. Most of them looked completely normal on the outside. If you see them on the street, you wouldn't even think twice about whether or not they are the way they are. There are of them who have a higher IQ power and are more capable or being independent as compared to the other children around. They can color within the lines, talk to us and we can even have a proper conversation with them just introducing ourselves to each other. They are also the ones who help the caretakers look out for the other ones who need more help.


This little girl right here is a bundle of joy. See this picture? She was the one who asked me for it. Alwin was holding my camera right where he was but I didn't realize he was there until she tapped on my arm. When she saw him with the camera, she naturally put her arm around me and posed. After that, she started laughing for a few good minutes. With her crooked teeth and her big, beautiful eyes, she just started laughing and laughing and she didn't stop. The other volunteers that were there started smiling along as well, having her contagious laughter get to us. When shown the picture that we took together, she pointed at the screen, staring at it and just having a smile that will melt your heart.


She didn't really talk much. She could only make out words and sounds but she understands us completely fine. When I knelt down next to her and asked what she was doing, she looked at me, colored a part of Bambi with a purple color pencil, stopped and smiled at me. I spent quite a bit of time with her. With her asking me to get her another color pencil, laughing at me, talking to me and asking me to color the "miu miu". She was an absolute joy to be with.


This little rascal in blue is called Melvin. He loves to eat. So much so that we weren't allowed to give him any food unless we had permission. Luckily, we were informed about it. He just didn't stop asking for his drink, again and again even after he's finished the cup for a good 3 times! Melvin couldn't talk much either. It was pretty hard talking to him but seeing him looking at Bux with eyes so attentive and a face so innocent, I couldn't help but smile. I remember after lunch, he proudly showed me his drawing of a flower and a house on a piece of art paper. I told him that the drawings were very well done and that he was a great artist, he then gave me a bright smile and walked away after that.


And this uncle right here is Mr Wong and Alwin. Mr Wong was one of the few who weren't coloring or doing anything in particular at all. He was just sitting opposite of Miao Miao, who is a young boy, looking around, having nothing to do. I knelt down next to him and started talking to him, getting to know him a little better. I asked him why he wasn't coloring or anything, he just smiled and shook his head. I took a piece of paper from Noel and asked him to write his name for me and so he did. "Hey we have the same surname," I said after he finished writing his name. I then wrote my name under his and when he saw the two 'Wong's aligned, he shyly smiled at me.

I asked him whether he wanted to take a picture. He was a bit shy at first, but I could tell that he was quite excited. After this picture was taken, we showed it to him and I cheekily told him that he looked very handsome and that he didn't look like his age at all! He blushed, smiling and shaking his head, humbly declining the compliment. But deep down I knew that he was happy, because after that he kept wanting to take more pictures and I did as he pleased (this uncle amsong HAHA).


This is Ah Peng, who has an extremely bubbly personality and not to mention a beautiful voice. I remember I was at the other table when I heard someone singing, I turned to look and saw her singing to herself. I knelt down beside her, looking up as she continued singing, never taking her eyes off me even for a bit. You can really sing," I told her and she smiled. I asked her to teach me how to sing her song and she did! Even though her song didn't have any proper lyrics, seeing her being so carefree when she sang warmed my heart.


This is Ah Lee/Ali, the happiest 9-year-old boy you'll ever meet. He laughs at practically everything and he's always, always seen smiling. I think he's one of our favorite kids there, considering the fact that we spent most of our time with him. He loves to show affection, either touching our faces, making kissy noises or just looking at you adoringly. He laughs the most when anybody sticks out their tongue at him. When Bux started doing that, he couldn't stop smiling and laughing. It was heart-warming to see how genuinely happy he can be even when it's just simple things like that.

It's times like these when I'm reminded again about how blessed I am to be able to bless others, and that instead of looking at what I don't have, I should focus on the things that I do. Maybe that's the secret to happiness. All in all, it was a great trip and I'm definitely looking forward to going back again, not wanting this to just be a one-time thing where we're forced to do it for the sake of some silly project.



**

For those of you who are interested, here are the details for the place! There's not much paper work to do, just call the number, ask if they're free for a visit, inquire further details if you would like to and you're good to go! 

PERSATUAN KEBAJIKAN KANAK-KANAK TERENCAT AKAL MALAYSIA (0012-11-SEL)
Malaysian Association for The Welfare of Mentally Challenged Children
No.118, Jalan Gasing 46000 Petaling Jaya Selangor.
Tel: 03-7960 8003
Fax: 03-7960 8005
E-mail: info@iq70plus.org